Our mission and objectives
- British International Investment is the UK’s development finance institution, owned by the UK Government. We invest with the aim of solving the biggest global development challenges by investing patient, flexible capital to support private sector growth and innovation.
- We have 75 years of experience successfully supporting the sustainable, long-term growth of businesses in Africa and Asia, and have recently expanded to invest in the Indo-Pacific and Caribbean.
- We invest to achieve impact and a financial return which is then reinvested for more impact. Over the past five years, we have committed almost £7 billion of new investments, with our net assets growing in value to approximately £7.7 billion. We are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 900,000 workers and support many more. Over the next five years, we plan to grow further, and aim to commit around £9 billion of new investments over the period.
- Our new five-year strategy responds to the opportunities and challenges facing developing and emerging economies. To ensure our capital is used in the best way possible to meet these opportunities and challenges, it sets out three clear strategic objectives – to invest in productive, sustainable and inclusive development. These objectives mean an increased focus on climate finance, including investing in green infrastructure; on financing digital transformation; and on driving inclusive outcomes, including through gender and diversity finance.
- We changed our name to British International Investment in 2022, to more accurately reflect our central role in the UK Government’s international financing offer.
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Ghana and Singapore; with further expansion planned.
- We take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract, and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 600 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us and the new strategy at bii.co.uk
Our Experienced Summer Internships are now open for application across our Investment, Impact and Corporate Functions teams.
View the detailed job specifications and apply via the following links:
Experienced Summer Intern – Direct Private Equity - Manufacturing, Agribusiness & Forestry (MBA, or equivalent)
Experienced Summer Intern – Infrastructure & Climate, Funds Team (MBA, or equivalent)
Experienced Summer Intern - Climate Change Team (MBA, MSc or equivalent)
Experienced Summer Intern - Business Integrity & Corporate Governance (MBA, MSc or equivalent)
Experienced Summer Intern - Financial Services, Direct Equity and Funds (MBA, or equivalent)
Experienced Summer Intern - Investor Desk, CEO Office (MBA, or equivalent)
Experienced Summer Intern - Technology & Telecoms Equity / Venture Capital (MBA, or equivalent)
Experienced Summer Intern – Private Debt (MBA or equivalent)
Experienced Summer Intern - Corporate Strategy, CEO Office (MBA or equivalent)